Everyone living in Great Britain knows there’s not much that can’t be solved with a good cup of tea. However, with the festive season upon us, we’re sure to have social calendars packed full of visitors, and perhaps you’d like to serve something extra special to warm up your guests. One of our favourites is hot apple cider. It’s extra handy if you’re serving a large crowd, and looking for a non-alcoholic alternative to mulled wine. Throw it in your slow cooker on low, and keep it simmering away on low all evening long to keep a warm beverage on hand for your friends and family.
HOT APPLE CIDER
- 2-3 L apple juice
- 500 ml cranberry juice
- 1 large orange (cut into slices)
- A few cinnamon sticks
- A few cloves
- A few star anise
- OPTIONAL 25ml King’s Ginger to serve
- Add all ingredients to a slow cooker or large stock pot and simmer on low-med heat for 30 min or so before serving
- Turn heat down to the lowest setting to keep the cider warm until ready to serve
- OPTIONAL pour one 25ml measure of King’s ginger into each glass to help your guests feel extra toasty
- Garnish with a cinnamon stick and apple and orange slices
The best part of this recipe is that it’s not actually a recipe at all. You can vary it to suit your tastes. Even if you get it a little bit “wrong”, it will still be delicious! Enjoy!